Bridging Visa E (Subclass 050) Australia

Bridging Visa E Australia allows you as holder of Bridging Visa E to stay lawfully in Australia, while your new substative visa or judicial review application is being processed.

Subclass 050 Bridging Visa E (BVE) Australia

Bridging Visa E allows you to stay lawfully in Australia, until your substantive visa application is being determined, or where BVE is granted in association with judicial review, until those proceedings are pending.

Bridging Visa E Australia

Bridging E Visa is a temporary visa. All most all bridging visas are applied for automatically as part of applying for a substantive visa. The Department of Home Affairs may grant you a BVE if you have made a valid application in Australia for a substantive visa but you do not already hold a substantive visa. With bridging visa e visa, you can:

  • You are making arrangements to leave Australia.
  • You are applying for a substantive visa.
  • You are seeking merits or judicial review of a visa decision or citizenship application.
  • You are seeking Ministerial Intervention.

You can't use a bridging visa while you wait for a citizenship application to be decided.

When to apply for a Bridging Visa E

A separate application for a BVE might be necessary where:

  • You are seeking a further BVE without work restrictions.
  • You have applied for judicial review.

Bridging Visa E Eligibility

These are some of the common eligibility criteria:

Do not hold a Bridging Visa E

You must not have held a Bridging visa E (BVE) that was cancelled due to non compliance with condition 8564 or 8566.

Do not hold a substantive visa

When you lodged your application for a substantive visa, you must not have held a substantive visa.

Apply in Australia

You will need to be in Australia when you apply.

Applied for a substantive visa or Judicial Review

You must have made a valid application for a substantive visa that has not been finally determined or you have made an application for judicial review of a decision relating to your substantive visa application, within the prescribed time frame, and the judicial review proceedings have not been completed, and you previously held a BVE in relation to the substantive visa application.

When applying for a review, have applied in the prescribed time frame.

You must apply within the prescribed time frame.

Administrative Appeals Tribunal

You must apply for review within the prescribed time frame, and if you have applied within the prescribed time frame, you may not need to apply for a further Bridging Visa.

Judicial Review

The time frame for applying for judicial review is 35 days from the date of the Tribunal’s decision. If you have not applied for judicial review within the statutory time limits, this may affect your eligibility to apply for a further Bridging Visa.


You can be any age to apply for this visa.

Meet character requirement

You will need to meet the Department of Home Affairs character requirement.

Bridging Visa E Processing Time

Your bridging visa E application can take any where from 1 - 2 weeks of time. However the Department of Home Affairs advises to leave sufficient time to process your BVE application, before you plan to travel.

Bridging Visa E Cost

Visa application charge for this visa application is nil.

Bridging Visa E Work Rights

If you are granted a Bridging Visa E (BVE) that does not permit you to work, then you can apply for a further Bridging Visa E with no conditions if you can demonstrate financial hardship. The Department of Home Affairs will assess your circumstances in relation to your claim that you need to work. If you do not meet the requirements for work, and you are still eligible for a BVE, the department will grant you a new BVE with the same work prevention or restriction condition that was on your previous BVE.

To apply Work Rights bridging visa e you will need to apply in the same way as you applied for your last substantive visa application, for which you was granted bve. There are different eligibility requirements, depending on whether you have applied for ministerial intervention or judicial review. There are also special rules for when protection visa applicants are allowed to work.

Bridging Visa E Conditions

BVC can be granted with conditions of 'No Work', 'Not be disruptive', and/or 'Maintain adequate health insurance'.

Bridging Visa E 3 Year Ban

A re-entry ban, also known as an exclusion period, means you may not be able to return to Australia for up to three years. A re-entry ban may be imposed when if you have breached your visa conditions. A re-entry ban will apply, if:

  • You overstay your visa by more than 28 days.
  • Your visa is cancelled because you provided false documents or false information to the Department of Home Affairs.
  • You are considered to be a risk to the health, safety or good order of the Australian community.
  • You are convicted of an offence against a law of the Commonwealth, or a law of an Australian state or territory.
  • You are found to have breached a visa condition, for example, you worked when your visa had a no work condition.
  • You hold a student visa but have failed to maintain appropriate enrolment, breached another visa condition, or have been found not to be a genuine student.
  • You hold a visitor visa but were found not to be in Australia as a genuine visitor.

Bridging Visa E (BVE) Australia Frequently Asked Questions

Difference between bridging visa a, c and e?

Bridging Visa A is granted with work rights the duration of which is subject to your work restrictions on your substantive visa that most recently expired. In contrast to that, Bridging Visa C and Bridging Visa E are mostly granted with no work rights, and the visa holder will have to apply subsequently for work rights citing financial hardship reasons.

What is bridging visa e?

When you lodge a visa while you are in Australia and do not hold a substantive visa, then may be granted a BVE.

Bridging visa E medicare?

You become eligible for Medicare only if have applied for a substantive visa while being in Australia; and your substantive visa is one of the following visas:

  • Fulbright scholars
  • Witness Protection (Trafficking) Temporary visa (subclass 787)
  • De facto partners of Australian citizens or permanent residents
  • Support for Victims of People Trafficking Program
  • Temporary Humanitarian Concern visa (subclass 786)
  • Contributory Parent visas (subclasses 173, 143, 884, 864)
  • Temporary Protection visa (subclass 785)
  • Removal Pending Bridging visa (subclass 070)
  • Illegal maritime arrivals holding a Bridging E (Class WE) visa
  • Humanitarian Stay (temporary) visa (subclass 449), Ukraine nationals can read about Ukraine visa support on the Department of Home Affairs website
  • Secondary Movement Offshore Entry visa XB (subclass 447)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise visa (subclass 790)
  • Skilled Work Regional Provisional visa (subclass 491)
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Provisional visa (subclass 494).

Bridging visa c to e?

You can not go back from BVE to BVC.

Apply for work rights on a bridging visa e?

To apply for work rights you need to be on BVE. If you are on BVE you can not apply for work rights, unless financial hardships exemption applies to you.

Bridging visa c to bridging visa e?

Once you move from Bridging Visa A to C, or D, or E; you can not go back.

Can bridging visa e travel?

There are no bridging visa e travel rights when bve is granted. You will need to provide a reason and attach any supporting evidence to explain why you need to depart from Australia; and return while your substantive visa is being considered; or while you are waiting for the outcome of a judicial review.

Disclaimer: ‘Atlantis International Pty Ltd’ and its associates are independent consulting entities which are not associated in anyway with the Australian ‘Department of Home Affairs’ (DOHA). Information on this website does not constitute personal migration advice. For a customized migration advice based on your personal circumstances, please call and talk to one of our Immigration Consultants or register your interest with our Associates.

Contact us for Consultation

Find out how we can help you to study, visit, live, work, invest and/or do business in Australia.

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.