Subclass 190 ACT Visa
If you are nominated by the Australian Capital Territory to apply for a subclass 190 visa, you must live and work in Canberra for at least two years from the date of visa grant, or if you are moving from overseas, your date of arrival in Canberra.
To apply for ACT 190 nomination you will need to complete a score based ‘Canberra Matrix’ where points can be claimed against specific criteria including skilled employment, English proficiency, formal qualifications, length of ACT residence / study, investment activity and close family ties, etc. ACT will rank your Matrix based on the number of points you’ve claimed. Those who rank high enough will be invited to apply for subclass 190 visa ACT nomination.
The Canberra Matrix is weighted to ensure that applicants who will make/have made a positive economic contribution to the Territory and/or have demonstrated a genuine commitment to the ACT are more likely to be ranked and invited to apply for ACT nomination.
Subclass 190 Nomination Canberra Resident Applicant Eligibility
If you want to apply for subclass 190 ACT nomination, you must meet certain criteria at the date you submit the Canberra Matrix. These include the following:
You must meet one of the following:
- Your nominated occupation is on the latest ACT Critical Skills List.
- You are the primary holder of a subclass 457/482 visa sponsored by an ACT employer: You worked in Canberra in the occupation nominated by the sponsoring ACT employer for the last six months as the holder of a 457/482 visa; and Your nominated occupation does not have to be on the ACT Critical Skills List.
- You are the majority owner of an eligible registered business located in the ACT and you are claiming Matrix points in the Small Business Owner category. The following business types are not eligible: sub tenancy, ride-share, taxi, delivery, courier services or an on-sold business previously used to qualify for ACT nomination; and Your nominated occupation does not have to be on the ACT Critical Skills List.
Resident in Canberra
You lived in Canberra for the last six (6) months and continue until the date of invitation. Your bank statements / transaction history must record ACT banking activity from the date you arrived in Canberra up to the date of invitation. You can also live within commuting distance in NSW such as Queanbeyan.
You have worked in Canberra for the last six (6) months; and as an employee:
- You worked a minimum of 35 hours per week in each of the 26 weeks up to the date you submit the Matrix. Your payslips and bank statements / transaction history must record the income / salary payments (weekly, fortnightly, or monthly) for the claimed period of employment.
- Continuous employment - your employment in Canberra was continuous for the 26 weeks.
- You worked in a genuine position in accordance with Australian terms and conditions of employment.
- You were in paid employment. Internships, stipends, scholarships, and volunteer positions are not eligible. Your employment does not have to be permanent.
- Your weekly income was no less than the relevant award or market salary rate.
- Employer statutory declaration: Your employer MUST declare that you were employed in a genuine position in accordance with Australian legislation. If you were working for a large organisation, the statutory declaration may be signed by your manager or direct supervisor.
- You may work for more than one employer and/or be self-employed.
- If you were working in Canberra for an interstate employer, there must be a genuine reason for why you are based in Canberra. You cannot be working online, or from a home office.
Self-employed (and you are not claiming Matrix points as a Small Business Owner):
- You can work for an employer and/or be self- employed.
- Your total (taxable) income was at least $1000 pw in each of the 26 weeks immediately before you submit the Matrix.
- You have at least 12 months ACT business activity on your ABN.
- You MUST sign a statutory declaration confirming your ABN, location of ACT business, start date of ACT business activity, duties and annual income.
Small Business Owner:
- You are eligible to claim Canberra Matrix points in the Small Business Owner Category.
- You MUST sign a statutory declaration confirming the details of your ACT Small Business activity.
English Language Requirements
- You meet the Department of Home Affairs requirement for ‘proficient’ or ‘superior’ English unless your nominated occupation: is Chef 351311; and has an ANZSCO skill level 3 to 5.
Spouse/partner: Your spouse or partner was resident in Canberra for the last six (6) months, or living overseas:
- If you wish to claim Matrix points for a spouse/partner, you must have proof of the relationship.
- If you wish to claim Matrix points in the spouse/partner employment category, they must meet the Department of Home Affairs requirement for ‘competent’ English; or hold an Australian passport.
Commit to living in Canberra:
- You must sign a declaration committing to living and working in Canberra while your visa is processed and for at least two years from date of visa grant.
Subclass 190 Nomination Overseas Applicant Eligibility
- Your nominated occupation is on the latest ACT Critical Skills List.
- You are working full time in your nominated occupation.
- You hold the relevant Australian registration or licensing if it is required for your nominated occupation.
ACT Job Offer
You have a full time job offer in your nominated occupation. The position must be Canberra and be available for at least two years. The employer:
- Must be a medium to large Australian enterprise (50 plus employees) actively trading in Canberra.
- Cannot be trading from a home, online or serviced office.
- Must have a genuine need to employ an overseas skilled worker.
- Must demonstrate that the position is relevant to the business; and cannot be filled from the local labour market.
Employer Statutory Declaration
Your ACT employer MUST declare that:
- You will be employed in a genuine position in Canberra in accordance with Australian legislation.
- The position is relevant to the operations of the business.
- The minimum period of employment is for at least two years.
- They have tested the labour market and are unable to find an Australian Citizen or permanent resident to fill the position.
English Language Requirement
You meet the Department of Home Affairs requirement for ‘proficient’ or ‘superior’ English; or you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland.
Spouse / Partner
- If you wish to claim Matrix points for a spouse / partner, you must have proof of the relationship; either a marriage certificate or a civil partnership/union certificate. The ACT does not accept a claim of a de facto relationship.
- If you wish to claim Matrix points in the spouse / partner employment category, your spouse / partner must meet the Department of Home Affairs requirement for ‘competent’ English; or hold an Australian passport.
You and any migrating dependents (except children enrolled at school in the ACT):
- Are living overseas.
- Have not lived in Australia for the last year.
- Do not hold a current Australian visa (or bridging visa), except an Australian visitor visa.
- Commitment to Canberra: You have researched Canberra and the wonderful lifestyle we enjoy.
- You must attach a commitment statement to the application, explaining why you want to live in Canberra and describing your future lifestyle. The statement must be written in your own words.
- You must sign a declaration committing to living and working in Canberra for at least two years from the date of permanent arrival in Australia.
you have access to sufficient money to fund your migration and settlement in Canberra.
Disclaimer: ‘Atlantis International Pty Ltd’ and its associates are independent consulting entities which are not associated in anyway with the Australian ‘Department of Home Affairs’ (DOHA). Information on this website does not constitute personal migration advice. For a customized migration advice based on your personal circumstances, please call and talk to one of our Immigration Consultants or register your interest with our Associates.